Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'm a Nursing Home Veteran

My parents spent 3 years in Texas nursing homes. Two of them were very nice to look at; two of them were dreadful. The first one was glamorous. We had the worst experiences with the first one.
This is painful to write about. It hurts to recall the nightmare we went through with the conditions we witnessed.
In the first nursing home in Tyler Texas we heard, but cannot prove, that the staff was double billing the residents who couldn't remember if they had paid their "rent" for that month. I spoke with some of the residents and they were obviously afraid of the staff. I called a nice lady who had worked there but was fired. She told me the staff were after dad's money and were "working on" other male residents for their money also.
The worst thing that happened to us was when the head of nursing at this home took my father to her lawyer six times when he was 87 years old. He was so confused that 6 months following our testifying in court he cried when I told him HIS lawyer never got a nickel. This woman's lawyer was after 30% of my father's estate. She told her lawyer that my husband and I had stolen a lot of his money and had written checks on his account for our benefit. She had us investigated for 2 checks I wrote. Both were for headstones for my parents' graves. When my mother had recently died in there and he had been taxied back and forth to this lawyer's office dad tried to commit suicide. No one called me. I read it in the newspaper. I called the police immediately and , of course, drove to the ER where I found dad with his wrists bandaged. My parents had been married for 65 years. Almost the minute mother died in the bed next to dad's, this nurse started taking him to her lawyer's office. In Discovery with our lawyer and dad's, dad was asked where he had worked for 40 years and he could not remember. His lawyer, upon recognizing dad's mental state, put his head on the desk in frustration. The head of nursing also suggested to dad that my husband and I were not married. So in Discovery, my husband brought our marriage certificate and showed it to dad's attorney and he said, "I wish I had seen this before." They sent dad to a private mental hospital without telling me. I went to visit him as usual and he wasn't in his room. So I drove 100 miles to the hospital and found him surrounded by personnel, crying. By this time we had had enough and left, with dad, for another city. I put dad in a nursing home and it was really bad. The previous one was beautiful but very crooked; this one was terrible. Dad had a small, very dark room with a roommate. The one window was covered with an air conditioner and curtain. It was a twenty five minute drive from our house. I had my eye on a new home opening up five minutes from us and put him on their waiting list. One day when I went to this place in Round Rock, Texas dad's roommate had just had a serious fall. He was sitting in a wheelchair WITH NO SHIRT ON with the air conditioning blowing on his badly bruised body. I called the desk to send someone in there to put the poor man in bed. After a couple weeks, dad's abdomen began to swell. They didn't say anything about it and they didn't have a pitcher of water on his nightstand. I would always bring him a milkshake when I visited.
He grew weak. The new home opened it's doors and I transferred him into that one right away. He had a very large room, big private bath, a very nice administrator and good food. This last part is so painful I will stop soon. Dad got a mass of some sort in his intestine. The doctor who was often at the new nursing home said he would not operate due to dad's age but it might be a tumor. I think it was constipation from dehydration and I did all I could to remedy it. He got double pneumonia twice, recovered both times then had a stroke and became paralyzed on his left side. He died in two weeks. I had him transported back to East Texas where he is buried right next to my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment